Ok, so it may not look as fabulous as the furniture from Naturally Cane....that is, not yet!
I, however, picked this cane set up for a bargain price of just $150! You read it right, $150. Not $1500, not $2500, not $6500, as it may have cost me had I bought the same amount at Naturally Cane.
Ok, so I may have been on a bit of a cane furniture mission, I also bought these four chairs for $20 each. I just couldn't resist the bargain. Besides our deck is so big, I thought I could make a few different areas. I'm hunting down a round coffee table for the centre of these chairs.
Let the transformations begin.....
I decided to paint my fabulous new furniture black, gloss black. It will be seen from inside and when we have all the bi-fold doors open it will be an extension of the living room. I want the inside to flow from the outside and vice versa.
Something like this.
Once again, but no surprise to you all I'm sure, I headed down to my happy place, Bunnings. Into the paint section, where I am now pretty much a daily regular.
I bought four cans of spray on primer in grey. Spray on primer was going to be so much easier than painting on primer with a brush - too many fiddly bits.
After washing the chairs, I sprayed a light coat of the primer, followed by a few more to ensure full coverage. Because the cane had been varnished, I needed to thoroughly cover the entire chairs with the primer in order for the gloss paint to stick.
Next, I pulled out a spray can of black gloss. I am not quite sure how many trips I did to Bunnings to buy just a few more cans of black spray paint. I think the staff may have been starting to think I was a graffiti artist. Let's just say I bought a lot! Luckily one can is only $2.95. And on went the first coat.
While the first coat was drying, I started priming the other cane lounges. This took a little longer because of all the detail, it was quite time consuming spraying in all the weaves.
I did get there and I finished all the cane furniture in about two days. Once it dried, I was able to see if I missed any areas and then touch up. Another great thing is, if it does chip or scratch it is super easy to repair so I don't have to worry if it gets a few bumps.
Here are the before and after shots of the Virgin Renovator make-over...
I don't think the photos do the furniture justice. They really do look so fabulous. Now I just need to find fabric to cover all the cushions.
I feel that I am on my way to creating the perfect outdoor space on a budget. Bring on summer!